Tuesday, September 7, 2010

potato soup, I do like you

I've been invited to participate in something called "I Canned a whole LOTT, Now I'm Baking in my Bistro." It's being organized by the two gals who did the canning week that I participated in two weeks ago.

Photobucket

Here's how it works. On Tuesdays for the next two-ish months, I will post a blog showing how to cook something using at least one ingredient that I canned. Then, I will also share links to other bloggers who are participating.

Here are all the participants for today:
a Latte' with Ott, A
From Mess Hall to Bistro
A Happy Valentine
Gourmet Meals for Less
Frog Belly Soup (who was my last minute guest- see recipe specifics)

My recipe uses canned chicken broth. You can use store bought or frozen too, but since I've joined the meat co-op, I have all these whole chickens... resulting in all this chicken broth. Yummy delicious chicken broth. (This jar must be from my first batch, where I did not take heed of the 'skim the fat' step before processing)

And here's the soup. It's topped with crumbled bacon (we like ours extra crispy) and served with focaccia bread. (Here's the recipe for the focaccia and a 'how to ruin dinner' episode)


I don't like potato soup. No thanks, not me.

But wait, what is this? Potato soup.... Oh dear, it's delicious.

I had it at one of the teacher days a few weeks ago and had to make it for hubby. He loves potato soup. I had to change it just a bit because it called for chicken bouillon... that has MSG, so a substitution was needed. Insert need for canned chicken broth/stock.

Potato Chowder
3 c potatoes chopped
1 pint chicken broth (or 1 can)
1/2 c water
2/3 c onion, finely chopped
1/2 t dry mustard
1/4 t pepper (or not-pepper= "blak")
3 c. milk (divided)
1/4 c. flour
3/4 c swiss cheese (shredded)
1/2 pound+ bacon (cooked)

Cook potatoes in a large stockpot with chicken broth and water. Add onion, mustard, and pepper. Bring to boil. Reduce heat. Simmer 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Mash potatoes (I used the immersion blender), don't drain. In a small bowl blend 1 c. milk with flour until smooth. Add to potato mix and blend well. Add remaining milk and also the cheese. Stir well. Cook over medium heat until soup begins to thicken. Top each bowl with cooked bacon. You could substitute ham if you prefer.... but why pass up an excuse for bacon. Invite last minute guests over to dinner. Devour.

I used whole milk and I think added to the deliciousness. There was also the fat on the chicken broth (see above photo) that may have added a little something. Doubled it served at least 10. I put some back in the freezer, we'll see how it does.

3 comments:

grandma said...

That sounds so good. I love potato soup. I have a recipe for corn chowder with potatoes and bacon that is so yummy. Glad to have you back blogging today.

Unknown said...

It's recipes like this that keep calling me to break down and get the pressure canner! This recipe has me convinced. When my husband realizes that I've spent MORE money on canning, I'm going to refer him back to this recipe!!

Ott, A. said...

I have always really liked potato soup so this may be a version I have to give a try. Love the idea of canning chicken broth.